Home Delivered Meals
- Home •
- Home Delivered Meals
M eals on Wheels operates 23 home-delivered meal routes and serves all communities in Pickens County. Volunteer drivers deliver meals Monday – Friday between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm. Clients must be home to receive their meal.
The meals served are a standard diabetic meal which is low-salt, low-fat and provides one-third of the daily nutritional requirements. Special diets include: chopped, purée and renal. Meals are planned on a four week rotating menu and consist of protein, starch, fruit, vegetable and choice of milk or juice. We are unable to accommodate likes and dislikes.
Eligibility for home-delivered meals is not based on age or income. Our clients are homebound and physically or mentally challenged to the point where meal preparation is nearly impossible.
Many of our clients live alone and the visit from our Meals on Wheels volunteer is the only interactions they receive on a daily basis. Volunteers monitor the welfare of clients on their routes and serve as a link to other community-based services, such as transportation, home health services, financial services and even home repair and handicap accessible modifications.
- Must be a resident of Pickens County, SC.
- Is unable to prepare own hot meal. Be physically or mentally incapacitated to the point where meal preparation is difficult if not impossible.
- Lives alone, with another incapacitated individual, with others that are unable to provide a hot daily meal, or alone during the day and is not able to prepare own hot meal.
- Is homebound with limited driving capability.
- Meals are available without regard to race, religion, creed, national origin, handicap, medical diagnosis, gender, or ability to pay.
- Courtesy meal for caregiver will be considered at the approval of Executive Director.
- In certain circumstances, exceptions may be made based on the recommendation of the Executive Director. Meals on Wheels reserves the right to make the final determination of eligibility at all times, and to reevaluate eligibility periodically. Recipients are admitted based on the extent of their need. Admission is contingent on meal slots available.
All clients are encouraged to share in the cost of their home-delivered meal service. Daily, weekly, or monthly contributions toward the cost of meal service allow us to continue providing meals to all who need them. Services will not be denied to anyone who is unable to help with the cost of the meal; however, it is important that everyone give at a level they can afford. Our case managers work with each individual to determine a level of support that meets their budget.
View our brochure.